Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Winter of Fire

I was wracking my brain again for another Rewind Wednesday book and asked Sarah what I could write about.  She suggested Winter of Fire by Sherryl Jordan.  This is another old favorite for me.  It is sadly out of print, but I'm going to have to look for a copy to add to my "reread library."  The story takes place in a very bleak and cold future--literally.  Society is distinctly divided into castes that never mix, the Chosen and the Quelled.  The Chosen are led by the Firelord who is able to divine where the coal that is the sole source of heat can be found.  The Quelled are the workers, some are lucky and work for the Chosen.  Others are not so lucky and work in the mines.  The Earth has been so damaged that the sun no longer shines and is stuck in a perpetual winter.

Winter of Fire spoke volumes to me when I read it many years ago.  I can still remember most of the story, and I haven't picked up the book since I was in junior high I think.  I'd put this on level (for me) with Swan Song.  There is just something about the book, beyond the obvious empowerment of a woman of a lower class, the overcoming of social hurdles, sexism and the feelings of defeat that fills her people.  I mean, what girl doesn't want to read that?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.