Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Crystal Shard

So, I'm actually not much older than this book.  R.A. Salvatore has been writing since before I was born.  The first book featuring Drizzt Do'Urden was published in 1982, which is also this book.  Chronologically, you should read the Dark Elf trilogy first, though you don't need to.  But, if you're like me and can't stand reading things out of order, Homeland is a good start as an introduction to the Forgotten Realms line of books, which feature authors other than Salvatore (I've read a few other series, one of which deal with the drow elves and is a great fantasy read as well).

Drizzt is one of my favorite characters of all time.  For those of you unfamiliar with the game Dungeons & Dragons, a drow is essentially a dark elf.  They're evil and magical beings who were driven underground by their surface dwelling counterparts and have resided in Menzoberran ever since.  Drizzt is completely different from the rest of his race, in that he has a conscience and thus ends up leaving.  The Crystal Shard is the next part of his story once he gets used to living on the surface.  Due to the terrible stigma surrounding his people, Drizzt is forced to reside in Ten-Towns in Icewind Dale, which is pretty much the ass end of civilization.  To say anymore would really just be ruining the story for someone who'd actually like to read it.  Drizzt is a stoic, quiet man who accepts the rejection of his neighbors without any fuss.  No matter how much Drizzt does for the residents of Ten-Towns, they continually shun him.

The main purpose for The Crystal Shard is to effectively set up the dynamic between the main characters of the series before they set out for their quest together later in the series.  Wulfgar is a barbarian youth who views everyone on the tundra of Icewind Dale as his enemy.  Bruenor Battlehammer is a dwarf that's dispalced from his ancestral home.  And then there is Regis.  Regis is a Halfing (yes, sort of like a Hobbit, if you must, though you really shouldn't).  He's a creature of comfort who usually ends up getting himself in a bit of trouble now and again.  I've read and re-read the Dark Elf trilogy several times and absolutely loved it.  It was not until recently that I discovered that the Icewind Dale trilogy continued the story of Drizzt, which made me quite happy.  Salvatore can spin a tale quite well--I often get sucked in and end up so emotionally involved with Drizzt and whoever his current allies are that I'm left feeling a bit abandoned once I'm finished.  I feel like Drizzt is an old friend that I can get to know even more.

I've never seen battles and fights described so well.  Salvatore easily gives you a picture that is so well set up that you can't help but get excited as you read.  Battles are one of the main staples of fantasy novels, no matter where you turn.  Some are just sort of bumbled through.  Others are marginally better.  Then there are Salvatore's scenes.  I've sat reading with my heart in my throat wondering exactly how things were going to go down many times.  There might have even been nail biting during a scene involving a ledge and a lake of acid.

In short, this is a definite must for fantasy readers (or even those who are new to fantasy, as it is a great starting place).  Personally, Salvatore has massive talent and Drizzt has to be one of the greatest characters I've ever met.  Not that this is news to anyone, as he's been writing as long as I've been alive and has over twenty books involving Drizzt (woohoo!).


We make the dragons as we make the gods, because we need them, because, somewhere deep in our hearts, we recognize that a world without them is a world not worth living in. -Drizzt Do'Urden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.