Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Jane Eyre

I finished Jane Eyre today, no thanks to my fussy boss.  Yesterday and this morning, she seemed fine with me reading, since we're a bit dead.  So, I breezed through a large portion of the book and was absolutely dying to get to the end, only to be foiled by needing to IMMEDIATELY bag instruments for the autoclave.  Mind you, after I finished, it took me twenty minutes to finish my reading.  And I still had over and hour and a half of work left...  A good ending waits for no one.  Well, it does, but I am an impatient and eager reader.

This is certainly going to be one of my (try to) yearly rereads.  I absolutely loved the entire novel, though it had me tearing up on and off.  I'll not go too detailed into anything, as Sarah has yet to read it and asked me not to say what happens.

As for literary analysis, well...  Hrm.  I'm feeling a bit lazy.  Suffice to say that it fulfilled my expectations for a perfect Victorian novel.  And it left me quite satisfied, whereas most romance novels really wouldn't.  I really loved the religious/biblical undertones to the entire story--whether it was the possibly of redemption for Mr. Rochester or the fact that Jane's moral rationalization of decisions appealed to me.  She made decisions that made sense, and God help me, nothing is more appealing to me than a truly sensible heroine, all the while being a passionate and intelligent individual who isn't influenced by others.  Were I going to have children, I think I'd have to name a girl Jane, just because I love this book.

Now, what to read?  I'm not feeling Tess too much, presently.  But am attempting to soldier through.  I think I will attempt to devote one day of the week for reviews of books I've read but not posted about due to a number of things.  Fridays perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.