Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Lightning Thief

I have no clue how I've never read this before now--I even have a freebie Rick Riordan novel on my nook and I've never read anything by him until now.  I have to say I just loved it (I say that a lot, don't I?).  It's a really great twist on mythology, which was always one of my favorite things to cover in school.  Mythology and Greek literature were also some of the best courses I covered in college as well.  And as for Percy, I have to say he is one of my favorite characters.  He takes charge, he actually takes responsibility, and I guess I just love the fact that he comes from a "nothing" type background and rises based, not on who his father is, but by what he accomplishes, which is a great lesson for a YA novel.

Another aspect I loved was the description of the various gods.  It really gives a nice feel for what they represented in mythology.  Ares with his constant bad attitude "vibes" and Poseidon's description (moody fisherman to me) really gave a good feel for the differences between all the gods and gave them a bit of realism, for instance, Zeus's attitude and reaction to Percy.  If I was a teenager, I certainly would thing that perhaps a god should be above such petty nonsense.  But, since this is sort of an urban fantasy, I much prefer the realistic personality traits Riordan gave the gods I came across with Percy.  I really like that Percy has accomplished some of the same feats that his namesake Perseus did (defeating Medusa).  Percy's attitude towards this also serves as a great contrast for Luke's disdain of his quest, which was also something a previous hero had accomplished.  Again, a great example of how choices can determine who and what we become, and not just circumstances.

I ignored YA and children's books for so long that I forget how wonderful they are until I come across one that I end up getting totally engrossed in.  I'm looking forward to my next library haul (it'll likely be the rest of the Percy Jackson novels).

On to The Crystal Shard now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.