Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Rewind Wednesday

It's Wednesday!!  So, that means it's the day I get to tell you to go read a super awesome book that I haven't reviewed here (and possibly haven't read in quite some time). 

So... What to review?  Well, I'm sure I could go through my Excel spreadsheet of books I've read (yes, I am that much of a nerd), but I'll go with an old favorite: Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon.  This was the very first horror novel I ever read.  It was also the first book I read that was more than a couple hundred pages as well.  Swan Song, in paperback format I read, it is something along 950+ pages.  If you read my introduction a few weeks ago, you'll possibly remember that I read Swan Song in second grade.  I probably didn't finish it in my usual record time back then, but I pretty much devoured it.  I've read it several times since, and it is also my brother and mom's favorite book as well (they're responsible for my excellent taste in books).

Swan Song is about what happens to the world and to our society after a nuclear holocaust.  We blow up Russia, they blow us up in return and a nuclear winter occurs.  People are scrambling for shelter, and food--there ends up being several groups of people that join together.  And the main character, Swan ends up being the epitome of good, while the leader of a survivalist group. Colonel Macklin ends up being a personification of evil.  There are several other characters that are central to the plot, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

It's similar to The Stand, but I think it is a great book in it's own right.  I would be the first to draw comparisons and admit that they are similar.  But, Swan Song is well written and worth the read, even if you've read The Stand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.