I read McKinley's The Blue Sword a loooong time ago. I'm not sure how long ago, possibly grade school? Anyway, I loved The Blue Sword, and when I realized that The Hero and the Crown was related to it, I had to read it. I've also read Deerskin, which I also loved. I am happy to say I loved The Hero and the Crown as well. Though, I do have a few issues with it. McKinley stumbled through setting up the back story. I can follow a pretty intricate plot, and since this is a children's fantasy, it doesn't have one that is too complicated. But the back story threw me off a little, until I figured out what was going on.
Aerin is such a lovely character--one of my favorite types. She isn't frail and graceful, or this trembling beauty of a heroine. She's clumsy and untalented, a feeling that many teen aged girls can relate to. Which is why I think that it's inclusion in children's literature is a bit inappropriate. I felt the same way about Deerskin, which was a very, very dark and disturbing tale. Anyway, back to Aerin. She feels outcast and unloved, and as if the people who are kind to her are only kind out of a sense of obligation. She doesn't see herself as a sweet, kind and capable person who just hasn't learned how yet.
It is a sweet, coming of age story. I'm a little disappointed at the maturity of it, since I'd love to pass it on to my niece, but I feel like she'd not get any enjoyment out of it at nine years old.
Quote: "I love you," said Luthe. "I will love you till the stars crumble..."
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.