I've been under the weather all week, so I was able to finish the first two books in record time. Once I had recovered a bit (and had to subsequently go back to work), the third one took me until today to finish. On the whole, the entire series has given me a love-hate feeling.
Starting with the hate: the Tris/Tobias dynamic annoyed me to no end. Granted, it was not as cheesy and teen-lust fueled as Ready Player One, but I just didn't like the way they came across. Teenage love moves at the speed of light, and that was reasonable in Divergent. However, I feel like the constant lying to one another and his habit of keeping Tris out of the loop to protect her... Well, I just got overly annoyed by it. While they do eventually come to an understanding and their relationship takes a healthier tone later, I just didn't like it.
The story was certainly entertaining and I had a lot of trouble putting down the first two books. If I am honest, I was secretly thrilled at having a fever and needing to stay home from work on Tuesday to finish Insurgent. I am fairly certain that my dissatisfaction with the series, on the whole, lies within book three. I just couldn't really get behind the dystopia within a dystopia. The Abnegation secret, and then the Bureau's interference within their "experiment" felt a little too manufactured. I'm not certain what outcome would have felt more likely, more natural to me. But, the thought of the Factions inside the city being a monitored experiment wasn't it.
Final opinion: not on par with Hunger Games, enormously better than Twilight. I think I need to go back to reading classics for awhile, and hope I can find some better inspiration there.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.