Saturday, January 3, 2015

Chaos Walking Trilogy - Patrick Ness

Summary: In Prentisstown, you drown in your own Noise and the never ending Noise of other residents, pets and wildlife included. Todd is a short month from his birthday, the most important one of all, where he will be considered a man. He is the last boy, and he finds that there has been a terrible secret hidden. So he runs.

I could not help but breeze through the first novel, and even the second. The third was a little less gripping, as I had begun to feel like I knew what was going to happen between the Mayor and Todd. All of the characters started out well, especially Todd and Viola. They linger on the cusp of innocent childhood, only to be shoved into adulthood, where they have no choice but to evolve into survivors, fleeing from their fellow man.


As a villain, the Mayor is a little one sided, never taking on any depth until the second book. I am still unsure how I feel about his part in the story, other than the continual use of him as a foil for Todd. Todd the redeemable and the Mayor being completely nonredeemable. Viola is realistic and strong, a wonderful female protagonist that is scared, brave, and makes very human errors in judgement. The part of the Spackle, the native indigenous race of the new world, in the story becomes larger as it progresses, finally getting an actual voice in the third book. Again, the notion of being redeemable plays an important role here with the Spackle, who is referred to as The Return. I feel like Ness used this formula well, and that the notion of how humans tend to destroy everything was not over done while also not being subtle.

Overall, all three books are well written. I struggled starting out, as they are written from the perspective of an uneducated thirteen year old boy. The purposeful misspelling used to give Todd a voice ended up working very well, as he symbolically showed that knowing right from wrong does not require an education. And also showing that despite his lack of formal education, and growing up surrounded by evil, Todd was able to remain good despite his mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.