Saturday, February 28, 2015

Kindred - Octavia Butler

I know there are sub-genres within sub-genres, along with crossover genres. Some work, some don't. Kindred works, and it works well. A friend asked to see the back of the book, and laughed as he read the classification at the top: science fiction/African American literature. I use the term friend very loosely, as we were out on a date and one date later, he called me creepy for keeping a gun underneath my bedside table and also mansplained rape and stalking statistics in my area as being very low. Anyway, that is neither here, nor there.

I would definitely approach Kindred as an excellent piece of historical fiction and African American literature. Set in 1976 and over several years in the antebellum South, it shows the comparative aspects of relationships between black and white people both in time and in relation to one another. Hopefully that made sense. From the back of the books: Dana, a modern black woman, is celebrating her twenty-sixth birthday with her new husband when she is snatched abruptly from her home in California and transported to the antebellum South. Rufus, the white son of a plantation owner, is drowning, and Dana has been summoned to save him. Dana is drawn back repeatedly through time to the slave quarters, and each time the stays grow longer, more arduous, and more dangerous until it is certain whether or not Dana's life will end, long before it has a chance to begin.

I feel that marking it as science fiction reaches a little, but I get why. Regardless, Butler writes well and descriptively, giving Dana depth and emotion--making her a truly likable character. Actually, I like all the characters, even Rufus and Dana's husband, though he falls a little flat. His reaction annoys (by annoy, I mean that it shames me into recalling I benefit from white privilege). I'm actually reading this for two different classes, both within Women's Studies. Within Feminist Theories, we've not touched on the book yet, but I am eager to see it from that approach as well--and may already be seeing it from that kaleidoscope perspective, in that Dana is black, married to a white man and has to deal with the disappointment of her family that she has married a white man. We have already touched on Kindred in my other class, U.S. Women of Colors--and hit it from more of a historical perspective. I'd definitely pick up Kindred if you are interested in historical fiction. If you are a die hard sci-fi nerd, well, it's really historical fiction. Good historical fiction, which means a lot coming from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.