Saturday, April 11, 2015

Plated: In where I order food from the interwebs and follow directions...




I adore things that make my life easier. Smartphone, check. Car that is fancy enough to give me an oil life percentage, check. So, it would stand to reason that ordering food from the interwebs and cooking would be a snap... Check, check, check. I was pretty doubtful when I stumbled across an article about Plated. Since it was only going to cost $24 and there is no obligation to keep receiving boxes (I'm looking at you, Julep), I dove in.

My order shipped Wednesday and I got it via FedEx this afternoon. It came in a regular ol' box that was niftily insulated. I've even got some extra ice packs to show for it... Even though the next time I move, they'll likely get thrown out. Essentially, Plated sends you enough ingredients for strictly 2, 4, or 6 servings. I see this as absolutely a plus, but not a plus for me personally. However, if you're a frequent business traveler and want to impress a lady or man person during the weekend, it seems like a perfect idea! Or if you're going to have guests and want to cook a couple meals for them during their stay. But, for a lady person on a budget... Mmm, I can see this not being a regularly feasible option.

One thing I really love about it is that it forces you to make a choice between what is being offered... and once it is in your possession, that's what you've got to make. I would never have gone out of my way to make Chicken Tikka Masala, but that was one of the options in my trio of meals. And it was fucking delicious. I've had the boxed, frozen Chicken Tikka Masala from Trader Joe's, and it was so spicy that I was unable to finish the dish. The ingredients from Plated, along with their recipe made for an excellent dish with loads of flavor and a healthy kick that wasn't so spicy that it became inedible. I even went with the suggested side of sauteed spinach, which was something I would not have made if left to my own devices. Now, if you're a vegetarian or have food allergies, not to worry! You are completely able to tailor the meals to your preferences. Since I am an eater of ALL THE THINGS, I ended up with a chicken, pork and beef. I've only made the Chicken Tikka Masala as of this posting, but my other two options look really tasty as well.

According to the Plated website, your order will stay appropriately cooled for up to 24 hours after delivery, which is perfect. I actually didn't run the super-important-school related errand I had to run today because I was afraid of the box sitting outside in the lukewarm sunshine. Since FedEx delivers any time before 8 pm, I reluctantly stayed home... And by reluctantly, I mean I watched Gilmore Girls. Since my apartment complex will also receive deliveries for me, I really don't have to be worried if I get home after it is delivered during the day. No biggie!



Another big thing that has been on my mind lately is eating meat that is hormone, antibiotic, and cruelty free. I have been eating a ton of fish. Thankfully Kroger has a pretty good array of pre-seasoned fish filets that allow me to whip up dinner in under 30 minutes. Tonight's chicken dish took me close to an hour to prep and cook, so it is definitely not something I would undertake during the week, unless I was trying to impress someone... Which, let's face it, my liberal minded, feminist, two stepping, omelet cooking, tall, and handsome hasn't made it into my life yet. As I am a foodie, this isn't a problem. Plated sources antibiotic and hormone free, and (according to them) try to source from family owned farms. Points to Plated for that. Their seafood is sustainable, points again.

Orders over $50 ship for free, which is something I like. They do sell out, so prepare to be a little disappointed. I was looking at the menu and eyeballing some lamb chops. No lamb chops for me. I was able to update my potential order for a different delivery date in order to get some of those fancier options that have beef, pork, duck, or chicken.

Prices can vary depending on what you choose. I played with my basket and ended up with two meals that cost $100. This is definitely not going to be something I do on the regular, but I absolutely will be checking out the menu on a weekly basis and seeing what looks interesting. You can cancel your subscription with no fuss, or you can just elect to skip the week or receive a box every other week. I love this concept and it is something I'll do again every so often to brush up on my cooking repertoire!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.