Monday, November 5, 2012

Silver Borne

Some miserable buggers from work were coughing and sneezing all over everyone Saturday.  So, yours truly has spent most of the day in bed napping and reading.  I finished Silver Borne in record time--but I think it was also short.  Hard to tell on a Kindle.  Of course, I do read rather quickly.  Silver Borne had a rushed feel to it...  It wasn't as difficult to put down, though it was still relatively good.  I certainly liked the first three or four books better.

I love a good series, really.  It is great to continue a story, and I'm always feeling a little drained after a really good single book.  But, when the story feels rushed or trite, it kind of gets me down.  I just get the vibe that maybe Briggs is more intent on capitalizing on the success of the Mercy Thompson books, rather than telling a genuinely good story.  I started River Crossed earlier, but was a little tired from reading so much in one sitting earlier.  I hope it is just that, and not an urge to give up the series.  Ever since I read Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, I've always had a hard time with keeping interested in a series--which is another reason why I can't go for very long without completing a series of books.  Goodkind started out really strongly with the characters, the plot line, the tension...  And once he wrapped all the initial plot lines up, he kept going.  And the series just sucked from there.  I felt the same way about the Dante Valentine series--Saintcrow just kept going and I no longer felt vested in the characters.  The only series where I still feel vested in the characters is Wheel of Time.  I'm still willing to finish, even after nine books (out of a total of fourteen), though it was getting tedious.  I really hate leaving a good story unfinished, as if maybe, it isn't done with me yet, instead of the other way around.

That is what a good story does to you.  It takes you in and doesn't spit you back out until it is thoroughly finished with you.  And, maybe not even then, if it's truly good...  When it is truly good, I always end up returning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.