Required reading for a literature class one semester was Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day. I actually did enjoy the book, though I didn't enjoy the class. The teacher wasn't quite with it. Anyway, I decided to try Never Let Me Go. I'm still trudging through part one of a three part novel. It doesn't seem to be terribly long, but it's work to read it.
My issue may not be how slow the pace of the novel is, but the fact that it is stream of consciousness. I hate stream of consciousness novels. I'm not sure I ever finished Mrs. Dalloway, which was for the same class mentioned earlier.
I'm actually towards the end of the first part, and there are some interesting tidbits thrown in that give an idea as to the type of world the novel takes place in. Again, I've been going through a dystopian phase with books.
Perhaps I can come back in a few days to report that the book ends up being more enjoyable than it currently is.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.