Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fifty Shades

http://www.buzzfeed.com/annanorth/why-50-shades-of-grey-is-less-about-submission-a

I think the article I linked above has a bit of merit to it.  My opinion is that it was a fun read, nothing I'd be likely to repeat anytime soon, unless I'm just in need of a break from serious reading.  Now, I have the same sort of feeling towards Fifty Shades as I did towards Twilight, but not as hostile this time.  Part of my issue with Twilight is that the twit of an author screwed with a myth (if you will) that had a romance all it's own.  Don't mess with vampires.  They don't bloody sparkle.

Now, Fifty Shades, on the other hand--I dealt well with Anastasia, possibly because I dealt with a relationship where I felt the other person was a bit out of my league.  So, her constant amazement resonated with me.  Christian's stalker capabilities are just... creepy.  Left me feeling a little disappointed in the character.  But, I guess what it really comes down to is exactly what the above article says--women do like getting served.  I don't want to have to communicate where to touch or what to do, or that I do want...  But, reality kicks in at that thought, and usually tells me to start dropping some context clues and hints as to what I want.

I don't think it was a terrible book...  It isn't winning a Nobel prize anytime soon, or ever, but I didn't have an issue with James's overuse of certain things.  Perhaps I lowered my expectations?  That might explain why I dislike Twilight so intensely.  I had high hopes, as my idea of romance involves a very rich, very handsome vampire.  Think Queen of the Damned.  Now, that was good romance.  And not even any talk of erections or spanking.

Fifty Shades didn't speak to my heart, even when Christian was giving her everything and taking all the "right" romantic steps.  As Anastasia puts it, I'm a hearts and flowers kinda girl.

Other than the above, I've not got much to say about the book.  I can see what the hype is about without criticizing those who really did love the book.  It was engrossing and easy to read.  Mind you, I do think the sex scenes were occasionally clumsy (Anne Rice's are waaaaaaaay better), but I think it appeals to women because they do, indeed want someone worshiping them (admittedly, I do entertain the thought myself, from time to time).  I read another article urging Christian women not to read the book.  I don't even want to touch on that one, other than to say that any woman who uses it as an excuse to be dissatisfied with her husband was looking for an excuse anyway.  Reading romance novels because you enjoy them is great, reading them to escape from reality...  That's not technically bad either.  Fiction is an escape.  I hate hearing people rant about the ramifications of using it that way, but I read fiction to relax, because I like a good story, because my mother instilled in me a love of reading that has never, ever left me.  Now, if I read Pride & Prejudice and wish my man were more vocal and romantic in his speech, aren't I doing the same thing as this other article is condemning?

It's a damned book, people.  Read it or don't.  Who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.