Sunday, April 1, 2012

Dresden Files

I'd seen the first few Harry Dresden books during my regular bookstore visits and just never picked them up to see what they were about.  I also missed when the Dresden Files came on SciFy several years ago, but finally watched the full season.  So, I picked up the first book, Storm Front sometime last year, or maybe before then to see if I liked it.

I love the character, first and foremost.  Harry is just this really, really comfortable character.  It's written in first person (between these books and the Rachel Morgan series, I imagine this is where I'm getting the whole writing in first person thing), and Harry's inner dialogue is brutally honest.  Jim Butcher writes the way I want to--casual, yet proper grammar, etc.  But, at the same time, he's funny and I just get pulled in to the story.  Hence the blowing through 5 books in under two weeks.  I'm finishing up books six sometime this week.

I do need to get out of my book comfort zone, however.  I've met with some success when I do (Atonement, The Sparrow, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan).  I've not returned to the authors I read that weren't in my usual genre picks, but I know I ought to.  So, I'm thinking that after I finish this book, it's time to read something other than my usual fantasy/science fiction picks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.