Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Awakened, Books 2 & 3

I decided to finish this series, just for the fact that the plot was intriguing.  That is truly the only redeeming quality for me with this series.  Character development was truly shaky.  The descriptions were overdone and so precise that they had no room to flow.  Tessar writes very clearly, which is great for his chosen profession (technical writing), but precision in creative writing, for me personally, just seems to make a story stutter and stumble around.  My other problem with the descriptions are intervals of heavy descriptions of feelings, actions--things that really move the story along, especially if you're describing a battle or how something occurs to a set of characters.  However, right in the middle of this (i.e. a scene where one of the protagonists is agonizing how to move freed slaves without being caught), he suddenly jumps to a rescue.  I honestly thought I had double clicked the page turn button and had to go back and check.

I'm not saying he's a bad writer.  I just think there's room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.