Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

Bollocks, this had to be one of the most amazing books I've ever read.  It goes far beyond being just a science fiction novel, or a collection of all the geekiest and most awesome things imaginable.  If you're a fan of science fiction as a genre, read it.  Also, if you dig the eighties.  Or video games.  Or technology.  Or just a good story.  It has ALL OF THE THINGS!!

In all seriousness, Cline writes superbly.  Though, I will say he touches on all the touchy things--race, gender, sexual orientation.  He blends so many separate, yet also relevant elements into a whole picture that paints itself.  One thing that really stood out to me was how OASIS (Ontologically Anthropocentric Sensory Immersive Simulation) was a combination of every game, every show, every fictional universe that has ever been.  Firefly, Star Wars, all of it.  The sheer volume of imagination accessible within OASIS is mind boggling to someone that has spent a large portion of her life wrapped up in a book or video game.  And the mere thought of actually getting to live Firefly or any of my other favorite fictional universes...  It makes my little heart race.

I loved the story, the world, the accurate commentary on everything from capitalism to race and gender.  The beginning is definitely the best part--the characters are witty.  But, there did come a point where I began to roll my eyes at the Art3mis-Wade/Parzival dynamic.  I can't quite pin down what I don't like about their relationship.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good romantic interest.  And I even like when my genres cross (shhhh).  But, something about them in this particular bit of science fiction just didn't quite satisfy. 

Ready Player One definitely merits a re-read.  It was certainly engrossing, as I stayed up well past a decent hour to try and finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.