Forgive my insane love of all things Firefly. I don't quite recall when I found out there were graphic novels... But, I have had my eye on obtaining them for some time. So, imagine my delight when I come across the first volume in HPB. I may have made an excited squee noise. Don't judge me.
First off, I love the art. It's phenomenal. I can't find a thing wrong with the artists' depictions of each character. Mal's face isn't quite as lovable, but that is neither here nor there. I loved that it was all still Whedon's trademark snark and bite in the dialogue (yes I know, he wrote it). I wasn't sure how well it would translate into text, but it did and I love it.
My only gripe is that it felt so short. I know it's pictures and dialogue, but it took me several lunch hours to finish the first Dark Tower graphic novel, and I was tearing through that pretty quickly. I would love for it to have a bit more content, but from what I read in reviews, that is a chief complaint of the three volumes in the series. Sad panda.
I still plan on eventually obtaining the rest of the series (in hopefully excellent condition) along with Serenity: Better Days and Serenity: the Shepherd's Tale. I'm looking forward to that one the most. I'e been dying to know the details about the good shepherd for the longest time!
If you're reading this and have never heard of Firefly or Serenity, I urge you to get a free trial of Netflix and watch it. You won't be sorry.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.