As always, after coming up for air from a Robert Jordan novel, I find myself at a loss for words. Not only did he write beautifully, I always find myself quickly attached to all of his characters all over again. However, in this case, the focus stayed on three main characters and was very short in comparison to every other book in the Wheel of Time series.
Oh, the insight! I cannot think of any other writer I like that builds such thorough and culturally rich worlds to visit. And the fount of knowledge Jordan possessed is apparent in every single word. I know, I know. I am definitely indulging in a bit of hero worship. I will warn you: if you think George. R.R. Martin has a large cast of characters and that annoys you, I do not suggest picking up this series. If that doesn't bother you in the least.... PROCEED! I am nowhere near done with this series, I need to pick up book 10, but burnt myself out (see what I did there?) reading the first nine back to back.
Anyway, if you love lush descriptions, infinitely intricate plots, high fantasy... Well, the whole series (thus far) is beyond fantastic. If you've never heard of it, or heard of it but never looked into it, don't freak out when you find out Robert Jordan passed away in 2007. His wife pegged Brandon Sanderson to finish the series based on Jordan's extensive notes and plot details that were shared with family. I've read a little of Sanderson's work and think he should fit the bill nicely. I mean, Jordan's wife (and editor) chose him, so that should say quite a bit. The cast of characters is vast and most of them are important at one point or another. The plot lines twist more than... Well, honestly, I can't think of anything twistier than a plot line written by Robert Jordan. I think it would be safe to begin with New Spring, though I am unsure if that is actually wise. It gives insight to things I missed or did not pick up on that definitely make me reconsider a thing or two, plus it puts several characters in a light that I wasn't ready to see them in, as far into the series as I am. I almost feel like I have to start completely over... But that it much too daunting a task.
i think that new spring brought great added insight into the world of the wheel of time. The bends and turns of the original series are definetly amplified by this addition to the original series.
ReplyDeleteOh I certainly agree with you! I liked seeing Moraine and Suian both as unsure Accepted, when all I've ever seen is the typical, calm Aes Sedai exterior. Plus, I think Lan has to be one of my favorite characters, so many layers to peel back. I really loved New Spring, I just wish I had been done with the series before I picked it up. I honestly didn't think it would change my impressions of characters much, but it did.
ReplyDeleteI find the every book in the series to change my impression of the characters; who they are what they want. Rand for instance wants no adventure and he is a protector. This never really changes but how he approaches things after experiencing all the situations he is in changes as his knowledge of the world grows and becomes more complete. My favorite evolution has to be perrin personally. Who is yours?
ReplyDeletePlease, Jordan! You know we're two peas in a pod when it comes to books! I love Perrin, mostly because he is such a reluctant hero. But, the same goes to Mat. I can't help but favor him. I really just love all of the characters. There isn't one I don't like for one reason or another.
ReplyDeletemattrim was a great character. I love the idea of luck being a super power. you always hear about such thing in super human theory but the way it is pulled off in this series is wonderful. I must admit that while i cheered for egwene she is one character that i did have a hard time relating too. she was so stern and had to be in charge that i found he distasteful. almost like a reverse sisuane.
ReplyDelete