I read Rhapsody many years ago. It's the first in what began as a trilogy, which turned into a six part saga--one that I never finished. So, the goal was to have this stack of library books read before they are due at the end of the month. I don't see that happening... I'll just have to renew some. Well, most.
So, the book. I love Haydon's writing style. She is descriptive without being overly wordy. Her dialogue flows well and is realistic. If I am not mistaken, Rhapsody is her first novel--and I think it's quite an impressive novel. It's certainly stuck with me since I read it way back when it was first published. I was roughly fifteen or sixteen when I read it, and I've always loved the character Rhapsody. She is one of my favourite heroines.
Easily sidetracked... I was on the dialogue. The characters exchange banter, making them more realistic, instead of the atypical lofty language that tends to be present in fantasy novels. I also like the characters' flaws, both physical and psychological. Again, serving to make them more realistic and giving the reader the ability to actually relate, instead of having this beautiful, perfect damsel--you've got Rhapsody. She's is beautiful, but she has no idea, and seems to think she is quite the opposite. Definitely a trait a large amount of women are guilty of (raises hand). She is class conscious, though she believes in equality. I just find it so refreshing, even on the second read through, that Haydon gives Rhapsody such real perspective and personality. I have never been fond of the larger than life heroes and heroines--I've been reading science fiction, fantasy and horror novels since I was a little girl. The books I love the most are the ones with characters who are faulty, realistic and have a firm grasp on the fact that they are not entitled or guaranteed to win just because they are "good."
Hopefully, I'll finish the next book in the series this weekend and work out another post.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.